New 5-5-5-5 Method for Cooking Hard Boiled Eggs
5-5-5 method was so far the best method to cook hard boiled eggs in the Instant Pot or pressure cooker. But, I believe that another 5 should be added to this method to make 5-5-5-5 method.
- 5 minutes by the Instant Pot to come to the pressure
- 5 minutes cooking time
- 5 minutes for the natural release
- 5 minutes in the water bath.
So really, 5-5-5-5 method is the PERFECT method for cooking hard-boiled eggs! You will have hard-boiled eggs in 20 minutes only that peel perfectly and set perfectly bright yellow without any green rings.
Why Should You Make Hard Boiled Eggs in an Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker?
Instant Pot hard boiled eggs are very easy to peel. This recipe is mostly hands-off and convenient, because you don’t have to keep an eye on the stove. Cooking the eggs in the Instant Pot is a foolproof method once you get your hands on this method and get the perfect timings. They will always turn out flawlessly just the way you want them to.
Timings According to the Instant Pot Size for Perfectly Set Hard Boiled Eggs:
6 Quart Instant Pot: 5 minutes cook time on high pressure + 5 minutes natural pressure release
8 Quart Instant Pot: 5 minutes cook time on high pressure + quick pressure release
Why Do Eggs Take Long Time to Cook in a 6-quart Instant Pot?
No, it is not correct. As the 8 quart Instant Pot is large in size, that’s why, it takes longer to come to the pressure before the cook time begins. The 8 quart Instant Pot also takes extra time to release pressure after cooking. This means that the eggs in the 8 quart Instant Pot takes some extra time to cook. So, if you are using a 6 quart Instant Pot, you have to make this adjustment by adding 5 minutes of natural pressure release time after the end of cook cycle. While the pressure releases naturally, the eggs will continue to cook.
Tip for Cooking Eggs in the Instant Pot:
- You must read the owner’s manual carefully and follow proper instructions for the specific model of your Instant Pot if you are a beginner.
- You must be very careful while opening the lid, so make sure that the pressure indicator popup has fallen.
- A strong jet of hot steam is released from the valve when the pressure is released. So, it is advised to keep your face away from the Instant Pot when releasing pressure.
- You must use tongs to take the eggs out of the Instant Pot, as they will be steaming hot.
Once making your eggs in the Instant Pot, you will never go back to the traditional method of doing hard boiled eggs. Your hard boiled eggs will never overcook that forms green rings around the yolk.
Calories: 72 kcal
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Lifestyle: Dairy-free, Gluten-free, Celiac, Low-Carb
Category: Egg, Instant Pot, Breakfast, Easy, Main
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- Pour water inside the Instant Pot and arrange a trivet or steamer basket in it.
- Transfer the eggs on the trivet or steamer basket and fasten the lid of the Instant Pot.
- Keep the knob in sealing position and hit the “Pressure” button. Cook for about 5 minutes at low pressure and do the natural pressure release.
- Open the pot and dish out your hard boiled eggs in a bowl of cool water for about 1 minute.
- Peel off the egg shells and serve.
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 5g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 1.6g||8%|
|Total Carbohydrate 0.4g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
|Total Sugars 0.4g|
|Vitamin D 18mcg||88%|