Easy to cook and healthy Couscous with Dried Fruit dish. More like moroccan couscous with raisins and prepared with Instant pot. You can have this couscous with dried fruit in breakfast and get your required energy for the day.
Couscous with nuts is a delight for health conscious people and those who have a sweet tooth also fancy this dish. This comes straight from the middle eastern region to your breakfast table. So what are you waiting for?
What is Couscous?
Couscous is a traditional North African dish that dates back to the 7th century and is believed to have originated with the Berbers (nomadic people who live largely in Libya, Tunisia, Morocco, and Algeria). The couscous generally accessible in the United States is an “instant” product that bears little resemblance to the “genuine thing.” Because it has been pre-steamed and dried, it only takes around 5 minutes to cook in boiling water.
Is Couscous Gluten free?
Couscous is more than just a type of tiny pasta. That’s something I hear a lot. It’s formed from durum wheat semolina that’s been crushed; pasta is made from ground wheat. As a result, couscous is NOT GLUTEN FREE. The macronutrients will be similar to those of pasta.
- 1 cup whole-wheat couscous, uncooked
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- ¼ cup dried currants
- 6 teaspoons dark brown sugar, divided
- Salt, to taste
- 1/3 cup dried apricots, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter, melted
- Put the milk in your Instant Pot and hit the “Sauté” button. Then press the “Adjust” button, so it is on the “More” setting. This means that it will now be sautéed over medium-high heat.
- When the Instant Pot indicator reads HOT, stir in the couscous, dried fruit, 4 teaspoons of brown sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- Now, fasten the lid, press the “Keep Warm/Cancel” button. Hit the “Manual” or “Pressure” button and cook for about 1 minute at high pressure. Rest assured that the vent is closed.
- After 1 minute, do the natural pressure release for 10 minutes. Unlock the vent to release the remaining pressure.
- Divide the couscous mixture in 4 serving bowls.
- Top with melted butter and remaining brown sugar evenly.
- Serve immediately.
Nutritional Information per Serving:
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 4.1g||5%|
|Saturated Fat 2.4g||12%|
|Total Carbohydrate 49.5g||18%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.8g||10%|
|Total Sugars 15.6g|
|Vitamin D 96mcg||482%|